O'Quin Zone Forum Index O'Quin Zone
Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More information pertaining to Patrick O'Quin's death

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loquin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: More information pertaining to Patrick O'Quin's death Reply with quote

I've done some digging in information which my mother, Lily Tiller O'Quin provided: copies of the death records of Patrick O'Quin, and have found some interesting tidbits.

First; Patrick did NOT die in 1806. His estate auction took place in early 1806, but, the inventory of his estate was dated December 16, 1805, proving that he died prior to this date. In addition, these records clearly state that the location was Johnston County, North Carolina. Johnston County is the bordering county to the north of Sampson County.

I've updated the Patrick O'Quin page at the website to include the information from these documents.

Elizabeth O'Quin bought several of the items at the auction - primarily household goods.

One of the names of people who bought items at the sale was a Janey, Nancy, or James (I can't tell which) O'Quin. It would be interesting to know their relationship, if any, to Patrick and Elizabeth.

I've scanned the documents, and will post links to the documents in follow-up posts. The first set will be reduced resolution copies; if upon review, you would like to download higher resolution (and subsequently much larger) images, they will follow in later posts. Finally, the last post will include a link to a single PDF file of all the documents. This last file is in excess of 5.5 megabytes, however.

If someone would like to transcribe the documents, I would be more than happy to post their transcription (with full credit) here at oquin.com.

In reviewing the documents, you end up taking stock of your own possessions. In those days, when Patrick died, a half page, hand-written list described the sum of what he and Elizabeth had accumulated in their entire lives... I believe I could fit every one of those items in my bedroom closet!

Last edited by loquin on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:18 am; edited 9 times in total
loquin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: First (reduced size) set scanned documents Reply with quote

in TIF file format. The Windows Picture and Fax viewer has no problem displaying them, nor does Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

Here are two maps of the North Carolina Counties, as well, which show the county boundries as they were in 1780, as well as 1800.

Last edited by loquin on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:28 am; edited 3 times in total
loquin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Full Resolution Scanned Documents of Patrick O'Quin estate Reply with quote

These documents are approximately 4 times the size of the first set.

In addition, here is the full resolution set of scanned documents, in PDF format: Estate of Patrick OQuin. Beware - it's 5.5 MB in size!!! If you're on a dial-up line, go start a pot of coffee...
Nancy Foster
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Patrick O'Quinn Reply with quote

Thanks Lou, this is very interesting information. I will share this with my family Thanksgiving week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    O'Quin Zone Forum Index -> the O'Quins All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: